Title 1

Title 1 Policy - 1900 - Parent and Family Engagement

Dear Parents or Guardians:

​The Carthage Central School District receives federal funds for Title 1, Part A programs and as a parent/guardian of a student in this district, you have the right to request information regarding the professional qualifications of your child’s classroom teacher(s).  If your child also receives services from a Title 1 paraprofessional, you have the right to request information regarding his or her professional qualifications, as well.

If you request this information, our District Office will provide you with the following, as soon as possible:

  1. Whether or not the teacher has met New York State’s licensing requirements for the grade level(s) and core academic subject(s) taught by the teacher;
  2. If the teacher is teaching under an emergency status for which state licensing requirements have been waived;
  3. The education level and subject area (field of discipline) of the teacher’s college degree major and for any graduate degree or certificate; and
  4. If your child is receiving Title 1 services from paraprofessionals, his or her qualifications.

If you would like to request this information, please send your request in writing to:

​Barbara Zehr

Assistant Superintendent

36500 NYS Route 26

Carthage, New York 13619

Academic Intervention Services


Academic intervention services (AIS) are services provided to students throughout the school year who are struggling to achieve the New York State Common Core Learning Standards. These additional tiered interventions include progress monitoring, extra teacher support within the classroom and/or push in/pull out support by an AIS provider.

Push in support is when an AIS provider pushes into the child’s classroom and provides support to individual/small groups of students within the classroom.

Pull out support is when students work in small groups and are instructed outside of their classroom. Classroom support is when specific interventions are provided to the student, by the classroom teacher, without the support of an AIS provider.

Progress monitoring is when the progress of a student is monitored by the classroom teacher and/or the Response to Intervention Committee (RTIC) and support is given to them as needed.

Students can qualify for AIS in a variety of ways such as by scoring below designated standards on state assessments and/or screening tests, recommendation by the Response to Intervention Committee (RTIC), grades, classroom performance, teacher recommendation, parent requests and/or previous participation in a school prior to enrolling at Carthage. Parents, teachers, principals and other school personnel collaborate to best meet the needs of the students.

If a child receives AIS services, families are notified in writing by the principal of their child’s school. The notification includes a summary of the academic intervention services being provided and the frequency.

At each trimester, a progress report is provided with the report card to families in order to inform them of their child’s progress. Families are encouraged to call/visit with their child’s AIS provider(s) during parent/teacher conferences or anytime throughout the school year.

Once a student has been identified as being in need of AIS services, the classroom teacher as well as the service providers work closely together to monitor the progress of the child. Duration and level of service is based on the progress of the child.

Please remember that a student’s intervention is based on multiple data points in order to identify specific student needs. Students are grouped for AIS services based on similar skill/specific educational needs. The progress of students receiving AIS is continually monitored to ensure they are receiving an appropriate level of support. Our AIS program uses a variety of materials and resources to best meet the various learning styles and educational needs of students and families are encouraged to support their child’s learning needs with resources/materials that are sent home by the AIS provider and/or the classroom teacher.

If at any time you have questions regarding AIS, please contact your child’s building administrator or the school psychologist.